14 June, 2021
Downs Shield kicks off Polo Season
Polo on the Darling Downs for this season began with a perfect weekend for the sport at the Clifton Recreation Reserve as teams turned out from across southern Queensland to clear blue skies and sunny conditions for two days of contests on horseback.
The A Grade fixtures came down to two local teams as Downs Raff secured the Downs Shield with a narrow 6-5 victory over Downs Hooper Accountants.
James Hoey, a member of the victorious Downs Raff team, took home more silverware as winner of the West Haldon Perpetual Trophy for the A Grade Champion Pony, Polly.
Downs Polo Club President and tournament organiser Haydn O’Leary said he was thrilled with the success of the weekend’s events.
Mr O’Leary said it was a great start to the season and he hoped to see the trend continue for future events.
Other winners were:
- A Grade Champion Team of Ponies (G. Jensen Trophy) - DC, Tallulah, Spring, Negro ridden by Jim Rawlings
- B Grade Winners (Ken Telford Memorial Trophy) - Colliers (Simon Bernie, Craig Holman, Mark Lillyman, Richard Marchant)
- B Grade Champion Pony (Colin Imhoff Memorial) - Amaretto ridden by Beau Skerrett
- B Grade Champion Team of Ponies (J M Gilmore Memorial) - Amaretto, Penfold, Terlings, Moet ridden by Beau Skerrett
- C Grade Winners Downs Pursehouse Rural - Charlie Telford, Tony Telford, Damien Allport, Peter Grimes
- Most Valuable Player (Nellie Hood Memorial) - Stuart Hoey
- There is still plenty of polo to be played in Clifton this year, with events spread out across three weekends of July.
The Cooke/O’Leary Tournament takes place on 10th and 11th July, the Silver Shop Bracelet on 17th and 18th July and the Sapphire Shield on 24th and 25th July.
For more information, visit ‘Downs Polo Club’ on Facebook.